Thursday, February 26, 2009

Great Women Of Yesteryear


I am reading a book at the moment titled
"Founding Mothers" written by Cokie Roberts.

I am fascinated by the life of
Eliza Pinckney, the mother of two of the
founding fathers of the American Constitution.

She was ahead of her time as being a female
entrepreneur. Left by her father to take care of
3 plantations in South Carolina in the 1700's, she
experimented with different plants to grow and finally
had a huge success with the indigo.

It is thanks to her that the export of the indigo to England
took off and brought considerable amounts of revenues to her
state.

Later on, by bringing up her sons with a progressive education,
they became famous on the American political scene.

I am so impressed with Eliza that I am going to read a second book about her, after I'm finished reading the present one.

"

5 Comments:

At Thursday, February 26, 2009, Blogger Voegtli said...

And she looked nice too. I am fond of reading books about women who meant something. Recently, I read a book about 4 women that had exciting lifes in the 18th. I forgot the title of the book and the name of the writer. All I remember is that she was the wife of Romain Gary.

 
At Friday, February 27, 2009, Blogger maria said...

Hi Peter,

Did you mean Lesley Blanch or
Jean Seberg?

As they were both wives of Gary Romain at one point.

Maria

 
At Friday, February 27, 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for your kinds words. Sounds like an interesting book. I myself find Cokie Roberts a very interesting person herself.

 
At Friday, February 27, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Saturday, February 28, 2009, Blogger Voegtli said...

Yes, it is Leslie Blanch. And the book title is something like "xxxx side of love". I passed to book to my friends in Sudan, when I had finished reading it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home